Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Scarred for life?

Renewed contact with more of my friends from high school has got a lot of old content surfacing, even more than before.

I only attended two years of Whitewater High School, then moved to San Diego, and if the truth be known, got into college the next year on the strength of excellent test scores and some very credible looking transcript forms that my free school handed out to be filled in, just before it was taken over and totally restructured by a reputable educator who just happened to be living at our house -- who took much better care of my brother's education thereafter. If you put a big gold notary sticker on one of those pre-printed diploma things and get a couple people to sign, it looks just like you graduated with all pomp and circumstance. But I never have.

First I tried the gargantuan Crawford high school in San Diego, which worked for about a month. And then there was the free school, Abraxas, still operating under the same new management in Poway. It had totalled something like fifteen different schools for me by that point. I had to get a B.S. in Elementary Education to figure it all out. There wasn't any Science to it at all.

Not that a liberal education isn't a very fine thing indeed. The lack of graduation robes and tassel has surely scarred me for life!

No comments: